One recent advancement in dental technology has become rapidly more popular among dentists and dental patients alike: mini implant dentures. These tiny implants provide a solid and stable base for traditional dentures, partial dentures, or single replacement tooth. When you learn more about mini implant dentures, you’ll understand why they have become such a popular option for dental patients. Here are some of the advantages they offer:
- The procedure is simple. Similar to regular dental implants, mini dental implants consist of small metal rods that are inserted into the jawbone of the patient. The procedure itself is minimally invasive, requiring only a local anesthetic and no stitches.
- The patient heals quickly. Unlike larger implants, which take many months to heal, patients recover quite quickly from a mini implant denture procedure. In fact, patients are usually able to enjoy a normal meal on the same day!
- Mini implants provide a stable support for dentures. Most denture wearers have experienced the embarrassment and inconvenience of dentures that slip or move inside the mouth. This can make eating certain foods or even simply speaking clearly a challenge. Mini implant dentures are secured to the implants, which means they don’t slip or move inside the patient’s mouth.
- There’s no need for messy gels. Because mini implants provide such a stable support for full or partial dentures, there’s no need for the wearer to use messy gels to help keep dentures in place.
- Mini implant dentures come in two varieties: fixed and removable. Those that are fixed are not removable by the patient, so you would brush and floss in much the same way as you would with natural teeth. Removable dentures literally “snap on” to mini dental implants. This type can be cared for in much the same way as regular dentures. If you are a denture wearer already accustomed to your daily denture hygiene routine, that doesn’t have to change if you choose the removable type of denture.
- You won’t have to avoid certain foods. Denture wearers know all too well how difficult it is to enjoy some foods with dentures. Hard or sticky foods usually have to be avoided altogether. But dentures are held firmly in place by mini implants, wearers are free to enjoy whatever foods they like without fear of their dentures slipping.
For more information about mini implant dentures, talk to your dentist today. He or she can help you decide whether or not you are a good candidate for this cutting-edge dental technology.